VASCULAR DISEASE: SCREENING, PREVENTION AND TREATMENT
Vascular diseases—including aneurysms, vein and artery disorders—are conditions that affect the system’s ability to function, and can cause serious or even fatal trauma.
The vascular system is your body’s system of blood vessels, including veins, arteries and capillaries. Their job is to carry blood—with its vital nutrients and oxygen—from the heart to the rest of your body, and back again. Over time, blood vessels may develop defects that hinder their performance and, if left undiagnosed and untreated, can lead to deadly consequences.
According to recent data, with the increase in obesity and Type II diabetes in Americans and as the population ages, it is estimated that by 2024 vascular disease will take the lives of over 2 million Americans each year.
Diagnosable Vascular Disease Components
- Aortic aneurysm: A bulge or “ballooning” in the wall of the aortic artery, which runs through the chest and abdomen
- Renal artery stenosis: A narrowing or blockage of the arteries that supply blood to the kidneys, causing them to retain more salt and water, which raises blood pressure to potentially dangerous levels
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD): A narrowing of the blood vessels outside of your heart due to the buildup of plaque (fat and cholestorol) on the walls of the arteries. If it becomes severe, it could cause tissue death in the legs, and even lead to amputation of the foot or leg.
- Venous Insufficiency: A condition in which the veins have problems sending blood from the legs back to the heart, because the valves inside the veins stop working properly.
- Varicose Veins: Swollen, twisted veins that you can see just under the skin, usually in the legs, but can also form in other parts of the body.
Vascular diseases can be detected and treated at Greenwich Cardiology through ultrasound testing:
- Aortic ultrasound is used to detect Aortic Aneurysm
- Renal artery ultrasound is used to detect Renal Artery Stenosis
- Peripheral arterial ultrasound for Arterial Disease
- Venous ultrasound for Venous Insufficiency and
- Varicose Veins
GREENWICH CARDIOLOGY IS A VASCULAR TESTING CERTIFIED
We are accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission to perform ultrasound vascular testing. The IAC programs for accreditation are dedicated to ensuring quality patient care and promoting health care.
Let’s test your risk factors and develop a sustainable plan to improve your heart health, and minimize your risk of vascular disease:
LATEST PATIENT REVIEWS
Amazing bedside manner and truly professional. He has a great deal of patience.
– Jose A.
Very professional and strategic. Nurses and staff were very friendly and accommodating as well.
– Robert S.
Excellent and Attentive
He is excellent and he is always attentive.
– Emmeline T.
They’re great about explaining whatever you ask about and Dr. Gandelman presented several different options for my testing in a very clear manner. I couldn’t be happier with my visit.
– (Verified Patient)
He is a wonderful physician, and his dual expertise in both medicine and public health is so evident. He is thorough in his work-ups and includes his patients in a shared decision-making approach.
– Stephanie P.